A similar dish is very popular from my hometown of Odessa, Ukraine called ‘eggplant caviar’. I changed the recipe a bit, usually eggplant is baked over an open
fire, I instead baked eggplant in the oven with tomatoes and garlic and added the walnuts to the recipe.
Perfect appetizer for dishes with meat or fish, or you can serve simply with a toast.
Baked Eggplant with Tomatoes and Garlic Recipe
By September 14, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2-3 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
A similar dish is very popular from my hometown of Odessa, Ukraine called 'eggplant caviar'. I changed the recipe a bit, usually …
- 1 eggplant
- 2 tomatoes
- 8-10 cloves of garlic unpeeled
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil
- half of onion
- parsley, cilantro
- handful of walnuts
- 1-1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ~40 g cheese grated
- Cut tomatoes on 2 half. Cut the eggplant lengthwise without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplant, tomatoes and unpeeled garlic in a backing pan, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt the eggplant and tomatoes. Put the pan in the oven and cook at 200 'C for about 40 minutes, cool.
- Finely chop the parsley (or cilantro), onion and walnuts.
- Remove the skin from tomatoes and garlic. With a spoon remove the core from the eggplant and finely chop with tomatoes and garlic. Add parsley or cilantro, walnuts, onions, a little vinegar, salt and pepper, mix well and put in the skin of the eggplant. Sprinkle with grated cheese on top and bake in the oven for another 5 minutes.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: appetizer, Autumn Food, cheese, Christmas, dinner, Father's Day, herbs, Memorial Day, New Year, nuts, party, picnic, roast, slavic, Summer Food, Thanksgiving, Valentine's day, vegetarian