These popular Ossetian pies are baked with different fillings and often prepared on holidays. In Ossetia they traditionally serve three pies on a plate and only on days of mourning – an even number. These pies are a cult food in Ossetia and have ritual significance.
Kartofdzhyn- the pie stuffed with potato and cheese. Ossetian cheese can be replaced with similar cheese such as adygei, feta, queso fresco, or even mozzarella. If the cheese is a little bit dry, then add melted butter.
The perfect kartofdzhyn in Ossetia is a pie with a thin layer of dough and a lot of toppings.
Usually Ossetian pies kartofdzhyn are round and baked in the oven or on a dry, floured pan.
Putting herbs in the stuffing is not necessary, but I prefer kartofdzhyn with cilantro, adding just a little bit of garlic powder.
Ossetian Pies Kartofdzhyn Recipe
By November 5, 2015Published:
- Yield: 5
These popular Ossetian pies are baked with different fillings and often prepared on holidays. In Ossetia they traditionally serve …
- 3 potatoes for the filling
- 200 g cheese for the filling
- salt, pepper to taste, for the filling
- 1 tbsp butter melted, for the filling
- 1 tbsp milk warm, for the filling
- herbs to taste, for the filling
- 1 tsp sugar for the dough
- 1.5 tsp dry yeast for the dough
- 1 tsp flour for the dough
- 1/3 cup milk warm, for the dough
- 500 g flour for the dough
- 4/3 cup water warm, for the dough
- 1.5 tbsp vegetable oil for the dough
- 1 tsp salt for the dough
- 2 tbsp butter
- Boil the whole potatoes for about 25 minutes. Cool, peel and mash until smooth.
- Mix in a bowl the yeast, sugar, flour and warm milk, keep in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Pour the sifted flour and salt in a bowl, make a recess in the middle, then pour the yeast, warm water and knead the dough. At the end, add the vegetable oil and knead again. Roll the dough into a ball, put back in a bowl, cover with foil and leave in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- Grate the cheese on a coarse grater, add the potatoes, butter, herbs and milk. Season with salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly.
- Divide the dough into 5 parts, each part roll out on floured cutting board in a circle (cake), the thickness of about 1 cm. Put the filling in the middle, assemble and pull the edges to the center, connect them. Pressing lightly with your hand making flat pie. Do the same with the other side of pie. Each pie should be smooth, rounded.
- You can bake the cake in the oven or on the stove on a dry frying pan until both sides are golden brown.
- Spread melted butter on both sides and serve hot.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, breakfast, cheese, dinner, dough, fried, lunch, party, pie, vegetarian, Winter Food