Another Autumn/ Winter dish of tender meatballs with rich and delicious sauce. You can serve them with orzo pasta like I did or with rice, pasta, couscous, vegetables.
Very tasty and fragrant!
Beef Meatballs with Cranberries and Fig Sauce Recipe
By September 3, 2020Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Another Autumn/ Winter dish of tender meatballs with rich and delicious sauce. You can serve them with orzo pasta like I did or with …
- 650 g beef ground, for the meatballs
- 1 large onion for the meatballs
- small bunch basil leaves for the meatballs
- 4 cloves of garlic for the meatballs
- 3/4 tsp 'allspice' ground, for the meatballs
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon ground, for the meatballs
- 60 g cranberries I used package of dry and sweet, for the salads, for the meatballs
- 1 egg for the meatballs
- 1 tbsp salt for the meatballs
- 0.5 tsp black pepper ground, for the meatballs
- 300 g shallots for the meatballs
- 300 g onions small heads of red (or other sweet) , for the sauce
- 200 ml white wine for the sauce
- 500 ml chicken broth for the sauce
- 2 bay leaves for the sauce
- small bundle of oregano for the sauce
- 2 tsp sugar for the sauce
- 200-250 g figs dry, for the sauce
- 220 g Greek yoghurt for the sauce
- 3 tbsp mixed chopped leaves of mint, dill, cilantro, basil, tarragon for the sauce
- salt, pepper to taste
- canola oil I used sunflower oil
- Cut the shallots and red onions (or any other small sweet onions) into 2-4 pieces. Cut the figs into 2-4 pieces.
- For the meatballs: Finely chop the garlic, onions, basil leaves, and cranberries. In a bowl, mix the minced meat, onion, garlic, basil, spices, cranberries, salt, pepper and egg. Make a meatballs the size of a golf ball.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan with a thick bottom and high sides, place the meatballs and fry them at medium heat on all sides for a couple of minutes until golden. Place the meatballs separately in a plate.
- Wipe the same frying pan with a paper towel and heat the vegetable oil in it again. Add the shallots and red onions, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes, until golden brown. Add the wine 2 minutes later. Next add the hot chicken broth, a bay leaf, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. After mixing it put the figs, meatballs on top of the onions, the broth should cover them almost completely. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer on low for 30-40 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt.
- In a wide dish place the meatballs with onion sauce, top them with yogurt and finely chopped herbs.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, Christmas, dinner, Father's Day, herbs, party, sauce, stewed, Super Bowl, Thanksgiving, Valentine's day, Winter Food