I usually do an easy tempura with only 4 simple ingredients: flour, cold ice ( you can put ice cubes in) sparkling / soda water ( or normal cold water), and salt. It’s better to use a cake/rice flour mixture for tempura, but I don’t always have it, so it can work with All Purpose flour as well. Some people also use cornstarch, baking powder, egg whites, milk or even shredded cheese ( which is also very tasty if you are making this tempura for vegetables).
When combining the ingredients, do not over-mix the batter, as you want to keep your batter light, and you actually want it to be somewhat lumpy. Also for mixing it, you can use chopsticks, but definitely don’t use a whisk!
And don’t prepare the batter ahead of time, it’s better to make it right before frying.
You can use this tempura recipe for seafood or other vegetables, I love tempura-fried mushrooms or zucchini blossoms! Just fry the vegetables first and then seafood.
Tempura Zucchini Recipe
By November 15, 2019Published:
I usually do an easy tempura with only 4 simple ingredients: flour, cold ice ( you can put ice cubes in) sparkling / soda water ( or …
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour or cake/ rice flour
- 1 cup of sparkling water ice cold
- salt to taste
- 2 zucchini
- garlic powder to taste
- oil for frying
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl, then slowly add the cold ice water and mix using chopsticks until you have a thin batter, don’t over-mix!
- Slice the zucchini into thin circles, you can also make them shaped like zucchini fries.
- Heat up the oil. Put a drop of the tempura batter mixture into the hot oil to test if it’s hot enough. It will immediately fry if it is ready.
- Dip the fries or circles in the batter a few at a time, and let any excess batter drip off, then place into the hot oil carefully, I use chopsticks for this. Fry them on both sides to a light golden brown color.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto paper towel to drain. Repeat until all the zucchini is fried.
- Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper on the top if need it. Serve immediately.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: appetizer, Autumn Food, deep fried, dinner, Father's Day, lunch, party, simple recipe, snacks, Spring Food, Summer Food, Super Bowl, tapas, Valentine's day, vegetarian, Winter Food