Kartofelniki is a Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian dish, stuffed baked potato patty. You can make them with different toppings such as meat, mushrooms, vegetables and serve with different herbs, sauces or cream, however it is normally served with sour cream. Tasty fried ‘kartofelniki’ can be a side dish to meat, but they are good with different fillings and used as a main dish as well. In this recipe the stuffing of meat can be replaced by mushrooms.
Kartofelniki with Meat in Mushroom Sauce Recipe
By November 4, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Kartofelniki is a Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian dish, stuffed baked potato patty. You can make them with different toppings such as …
- 5 medium potatoes
- half onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp flour for mashed potatoes
- 1 tbsp flour for the sauce
- flour for breading
- 2 shallots
- 150 g (5.3oz) mushrooms for the sauce
- 100 g (3.5oz) mushrooms for stuffing
- 150 g (5.3oz) beef minced
- 1 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- olive oil
- 50 g (4 tbsp) butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- salt, pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut into medium cubes. Boil in salted water until tender. Drain and mash the potatoes, then let cool. Add the egg, 2 tablespoons flour, stir well, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry finely chop onion and 100g mushrooms in olive oil until soft. Add minced beef to them, stirring until meat is ready. Season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the sauce, finely chop the shallots, rosemary leaves, garlic and mushrooms. Fry together in a pan with butter, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, add 1 tablespoon flour, stir and cook another 1-2 minutes. Pour in the wine, let it reduce a little, then add the cream, stir and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- With moist hands, form the mashed potatoes into small cakes. In the middle lay meat stuffing and make pies. Roll them in flour and fry them in olive oil until golden brown on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Put kartofelniki on a plate, pour mushroom sauce on top and garnish with greens.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, dinner, fried, herbs, lunch, sauce, slavic, Winter Food