Very simple and easy Filipino chicken recipe. Adobo (which means ‘marinade’)- is a popular dish and cooking process in Philippine cuisine. You can use meat, chicken, seafood or vegetables marinated in vinegar, soy sauce and garlic and then simmered in the marinade.
There are many versions for Adobo, this version is one of my favorites – simple and delicious. The chicken can be cooked immediately or leave it in the marinade for 30-60 minutes or overnight.
I prefer to add a little bit sugar to this dish, it will not make the chicken sweet, but it improves the flavor of the dish. Also, I added chili pepper flakes to give it a little bite.
This dish is great served with rice, put the sauce and chicken on top.
Here is another version of Adobo chicken I made before with pork: https://internationalmenu.com/philippine-adobo-chicken-and-pork/
Chicken Adobo Recipe
By October 12, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Very simple and easy Filipino chicken recipe. Adobo (which means ‘marinade’)- is a popular dish and cooking process in Philippine …
- 4 chicken legs and thighs
- 1 head garlic peeled
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white Filipino cane vinegar, or distilled white vinegar Option 1
- 1/3 cup soy sauce Option 1
- 1/3 cup water Option 1
- 1/3 cup white Filipino cane vinegar, or distilled white vinegar Option 2
- 1/2 cup soy sauce Option 2
- 1/3 cup water Option 2
- Separate the chicken drumsticks from thighs.
- Mix in a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan the vinegar, soy sauce, water and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Add the chicken, crushed garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves. If you like, add hot pepper (I usually do this).
- Bring the pan to a boil then reduce heat and simmer without a lid for about 20 minutes. Turn the chicken on the other side, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar on top, turn the chicken and turn up the heat. Cook another 3 minutes, then turn off the heat and cover.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, dinner, marinated, party, simmer, simple recipe, Winter Food