Caldo de Pollo ( Homemade Chicken Soup )
Caldo de pollo is a common Latin American soup that consists of chicken and vegetables. In Mexico, this soup is used during illnesses as a treatment for colds, as well as a regular comfort food for cold or under-the weather days.
What makes this soup different from many other versions of chicken soup is that, caldo de pollo uses whole chicken pieces instead of chopped or shredded chicken. Additionally, chicken bones and the vegetables are usually of a heartier cut.
I make this soup often, it’s really a delicious, flavorful stock and so easy to prepare! For the chicken bouillon I usually use 3 chicken legs ( drumsticks and thighs together), but you can also use mix of chicken parts, like breast and legs.
You can also add to the soup cabbage, zucchini, garbanzo beans, corn on the cob, and/or etc.
Caldo de Pollo ( Homemade Chicken Soup ) Recipe
By September 23, 2019Published:
- Yield: 8-10 Servings
Caldo de pollo is a common Latin American soup that consists of chicken and vegetables. In Mexico, this soup is used during illnesses …
- 2 l water for the broth
- Half of large chicken with the skin and bones, cut into parts, for the broth
- 1 tbsp salt for the broth
- 6 cloves of garlic for the broth
- 1/4 cup of rice
- canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 bell pepper red or yellow
- 1-2 Yukon gold potatoes
- Red hot pepper flakes to your taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 small lime
- Dip the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, cool, and peel. Chop the tomatoes and bell pepper into medium cubes. Grate the carrots on a coarse grater. Chop onion and garlic finely. Cut the potato into 4-8 parts.
- In large pot with 2 l of water put the parts of the chicken, then add salt and finely chopped gallic, and boil for 20 min.
- Add the oil in a separate pan, put the rice in and fry for about 2-3 min, stirring all the time. Add chopped onion, and cook it for 2 -3 min. Then, add the chopped tomatoes and bell pepper and cook for another 3 min, stirring constantly. Transfer everything into a pan with chicken bouillon.
- To the pot with the chicken add the carrot, potatoes, red hot pepper flakes, bay leaves, cumin, and coriander and simmer for another 25 min under a lid. Add the tomato sauce and cook for 5 more min.
- Serve the finished soup hot, adding juice from half of a lime, then use the other half of the lime for wedges. Sprinkle with cilantro and corn chips on top. You can also put some avocado cubes.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, dinner, Father's Day, lunch, simple recipe, Winter Food