After trying blini (crepes) with custard cream and crispy top layer, my kids said, ‘omg it’s so good!’, and I nailed it again! My daughter named it “cremebrulini”, because the taste is kinda like creme brulee but with blini (crepes).
You will need for Crepe Cake with Custard Cream
silicone whisk, using a silicone whisk will not damage your pans or pots while whisking the cream
Crepe Cake with Custard Cream Recipe
By March 15, 2019Published:
- Yield: 12 Servings
After trying blini (crepes) with custard cream and crispy top layer, my kids said, ‘omg it’s so good!’, and I nailed it again! …
- 1 1/2 cups flour sifted, for blini
- 1 tbsp sugar for blini
- 2 pinches salt for blini
- 1 tsp backing powder for blini
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk for blini
- 3 eggs for blini
- 1 cup boiling water for blini
- 2 tbsp canola oil for blini
- 6-7 egg yolks for custard cream
- 220 g sugar for custard cream
- 500 ml heavy whipping cream or milk, for custard cream
- 4 tbsp corn starch for custard cream
- vanilla for custard cream
- sugar or brown sugar, for the top
- Mix in a bowl the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Separately, lightly beat the eggs with buttermilk and pour into flour. Mix together with blender until the batter is smooth, add boiling water, then oil. Mix one more time.
- Grease a thick bottomed pan with vegetable oil and cook the blini on both sides until golden brown.
- prepare the cream: pour heavy whipping cream into a medium-sized pan with a thick bottom, bring to a boil over small/medium heat. In a small bowl, mix the sugar with the cornstarch, vanilla, and yolks and beat with a mixer or whisk.
- As soon as the cream starts to boil, pour half of it in a thin stream to the sugar mixture, whisking thoroughly, then pour the rest and mix everything thoroughly again. Pour this mixture back into the pan (importantly with a thick bottom), return to a small fire, reduce the mixture, stirring all the time with a whisk so that the cream does not burn, (use a silicone whisk so it will not do a damage to the bottom of the pan) until it becomes thick.
- As soon as the cream has thickened, turn off the heat and immediately pour the cream from the pan into a deep bowl. Cover the top with a plastic food wrap so the cream will not dry on top out and put in the fridge to cool.
- Assemble the cake: smear each crepe with a thin layer of the custard cream. Smear the final crepe on top with the cream, and sprinkle with sugar. Using a torch, melt the sugar to form a crispy top. Let it stay for a couple of hours before serving.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, blini, breakfast, Christmas, dinner, Easter, Kids' Parties, Maslenitsa, Mother's Day, New Year, party, slavic, Thanksgiving, Valentine's day, Winter Food, Women's Day