Stuffed bell peppers is a popular dish in Bulgarian, Romanian, Moldovan and Azerbaijan cuisine. The main ingredients are bell peppers, minced meat, rice and grated tomatoes. Usually stuffed peppers are served with sour cream.
I remember when I was a child my mother cooked these peppers a lot for us. My brothers and I never ate the peppers, which is not very surprising for kids, but the stuffing was great with sour cream! By the way, for the stuffing you can use chicken instead and for vegetarians there is an option to just stuff with rice but be sure to reduce the cooking time 30-40 minutes. For the sauce, I use my canned tomato sauce, which I usually make in the fall from tomatoes and herbs from my garden. It includes tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano and garlic. Some people like to add a little broth in the sauce.
This is another dish from my childhood and a bit like Golubtsi I did earlier.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Meat and Rice Recipe
By August 30, 2017Published:
Stuffed bell peppers is a popular dish in Bulgarian, Romanian, Moldovan and Azerbaijan cuisine. The main ingredients are bell peppers, …
- 3 large bell peppers
- 200 g beef minced
- 100 g pork minced
- 80 g (~4tbsp) rice
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 tomatoes
- bunch parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt, pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste for the sauce
- 200 g sour cream for the sauce
- 50 ml water for the sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic for the sauce
- salt, pepper for the sauce
- Cut the cap of the bell peppers and clean the seeds from inside.
- Boil the rice in salted water until half done, 7-10 minutes. Fry the finely chopped onion in a frying pan with vegetable oil, add the carrots grated on a coarse grater, chopped garlic and most of the parsley, leaving the rest for the sauce.
- In boiling water, put the tomatoes for 30 seconds, then put them in cold water, peel and finely chop.
- Mix the roasted vegetables, tomatoes, boiled rice and ground meat in a bowl with the salt and pepper. Fill the peppers with this stuffing tightly, cover the caps and put in a pot or saucepan.
- Mix the sour cream, tomato sauce, water, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and remaining herbs in a bowl, add to stuffed bell peppers. Cover a pot or saucepan and cook over medium heat for 40-60 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the lid on for 10 more minutes.
- Put the peppers in a deep dish, pour the sauce on top and garnish with parsley.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, dinner, sauce, simmer, stuffed, Summer Food, Thanksgiving, Valentine's day, Winter Food