Borscht, the traditional national Slavic dish in eastern and central Europe, like Blini, Pirozhki or Pelmeni. It is a thick vegetable soup with a deep red, burgundy color because of beets which is the main ingredient. Every nation has their own version of this dish, but the main components are always beets, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions and tomatoes.
The amount of ingredients listed is good for 2 – 2.5 litres water. You don’t need to add bacon but I like borscht with a slight smoky taste. You can also use pork or chicken, or even leave the meat out if you are vegetarian. Traditionally in Ukraine borscht is served with dumplings (pampushki) and sour cream on top with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and finely chopped garlic.
By November 16, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Borscht, the traditional national Slavic dish in eastern and central Europe, like Blini, Pirozhki or Pelmeni. It is a thick vegetable …
- 0.5-0.7 kg of beef (just meat or meat on the bone)
- 200 g fresh cabbage
- 350 g beet
- 150 g carrots
- 150 g onions
- 2 potatos
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes
- 150 g smoked bacon
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, pepper
- vegetable oil for frying vegetables
- Cut the meat into medium pieces, place in a large (pot) and cover with cold water and lid. Boil for about 45 -60 min. From time to time, remove the foam with a spoon.
- Shred the cabbage into fine strips, peel and cut beets into thin strips, peel the carrots and grate it, chop onion to small cubes, peel the potatoes and cut into large or medium sized cubes. Dip the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, then dip in cold water, peel and grate. Cut the bacon into small cubes.
- Preheat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the beets for around 3-5 minutes. Then add the vinegar, tomato paste, grated tomatoes and simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place on a plate. Pour vegetable oil in this pan again and fry the onion over low heat for about 3-5 minutes, then add carrots and bacon, and fry, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- In the boiling broth add potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, then add the cabbage. After 5 minutes, add the beets, and 10 minutes after the carrots, onion and bacon. After 5 minutes, add the finely chopped garlic, fresh herbs. Turn off heat and let stand 20-30 minutes.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: lunch, slavic