Chakhokhbili-stew poultry, one of the most delicious and popular dishes of Georgian cuisine. Originally it was prepared from a pheasant, but now is made from any bird, usually chicken. It’s a very tasty, flavorful dish, that does not use water, oil, or fat since tomatoes and onions give this naturally to the dish. I like to add a little red wine for more flavor and replace a whole chicken with chicken thighs. If you like spicy food, then add a little chili pepper without the seeds. You can also add crushed walnuts. Chakhokhbili is usually served with pita bread or white bread, but if you cook rice or mashed potatoes, that will be perfect to add to them the sauce from the chicken also.
Chakhokhbili Chicken Recipe
By December 4, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
Chakhokhbili-stew poultry, one of the most delicious and popular dishes of Georgian cuisine. Originally it was prepared from a …
- 1.2 kg whole chicken
- 2 large onions
- 30 g butter
- 500 g tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- pinch of red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 100 ml dry red wine (optional)
- 0.5 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 0.5 cup of chopped basil
- 1 tbsp of chopped mint, tarragon
- a pinch of saffron (optional)
- Heat a dry frying pan with a thick bottom or stewpot. Cut the chicken into portions and fry on all sides until golden brown.
- Put the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds then cool them, remove the skin and dice. Crush the coriander seeds in a mortar.
- Fry the finely chopped onion in the butter until golden brown in a separate pan, then add it to the chicken. Also put the tomatoes, salt, coriander, bay leaves, pour in the red wine, slightly evaporated, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- After that, add the finely chopped garlic, saffron, salt and hot pepper (if needed) and half of the chopped herbs. Cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the rest of the herbs, mix gently, cover, and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Then serve immediately.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: dinner, sauce, stewed