One of my favorite soups is a traditional soup from Georgia (the country, not state). This soup is made from beef, rice, walnuts and sun-dried plum puree called ‘tkemali’ (cherry-plum). This soup is usually made with beef but for me it’s best to cook with lamb. You can also add bay leaves and different spices like coriander, basil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, or red chili. Towards the end of cooking you add the chopped walnuts which gives the super a nutty flavor and a little crunch. Cherry plum paste can be replaced with tomato paste. Grind the cilantro and garlic in a mortar to improve the flavor .
Soup ‘Harcho’ Recipe
By December 2, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3-5 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 2 hrs 10 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 25 mins
One of my favorite soups is a traditional soup from Georgia (the country, not state). This soup is made from beef, rice, walnuts …
- 1 kg fat lamb with bone, loin
- 2 large onions
- 1 carrot
- 2 potatoes
- 100 g rice
- 3 tomatoes cut into two parts
- 2 tbsp cherry plum paste
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2-3 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 8 black peppercorns
- 8 cloves garlic
- bunch cilantro
- Cut meat with ribs in the middle parts. Slice the onion and carrot. Place coriander and pepper into a mortar, add 3-4 pinches of salt, and crush the mixture with the pestle, adding the red pepper after.
- Put a saucepan with thick bottom on the stove and pour in oil. Lay ribs on the bottom of the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes. Then turn over and fry the other side an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil, then add the onion, carrots, mixture of spices and salt, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil again. Pour 1.5 liters of hot water bring to a boil, and cover with lid. Cook for 30-40 min.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into 4-6 pieces, rinse rice and add to the soup. Cook for 20 min.
- Chop the garlic and cilantro then remove soup from heat, and add the cherry plum paste, garlic and cilantro. Put in a bowl 10 min. later and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, dinner, Father's Day, herbs, lamb, lunch, nuts, spicy, Winter Food