Satsivi is a Georgian sauce which this dish is cooked in. Usually satsivi is cooked with chicken, but you can replace it with turkey, goose, duck, meat and even fish. The principal and mandatory ingredients in this sauce are walnuts, cilantro, garlic. Wine vinegar can be replaced by lemon juice or pomegranate. To thicken the sauce normally use flour or egg yolks. Chicken can be cooked in two ways: roast and then stew in a sauce or boil in salted water. It’s good to serve mashed potatoes with satsivi, pour sauce from the chicken on top. One of my favorite recipes.
Satsivi Chicken Recipe
By March 3, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Satsivi is a Georgian sauce which this dish is cooked in. Usually satsivi is cooked with chicken, but you can replace it with turkey, …
- 1 whole chicken cut in pieces
- 1 large onion
- ~ 2 tbsp flour
- 400-500 ml (1.7-2cup) chicken broth
- bunch cilantro
- small pinch of saffron
- 5-7 cloves of garlic
- salt to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 tsp wine vinegar
- 350 g (0.8lb) walnuts shelled
- vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper whole chicken pieces and fry in vegetable oil on both sides until golden brown. Put the chicken on a baking sheet, place in preheated oven and cook until 390F chicken about 20 minutes.
- Finely chop the cilantro, onion and garlic, and pound nuts in a mortar. Pound in the mortar the cilantro, a half serving of garlic and salt separately of nuts. In a pan where the chicken was cooked, add oil if necessary and fry the onions with the remaining half portion of garlic until golden brown, add flour, fry a little, then add the broth and boil a few minutes, stirring all the time. Next, add the crushed cilantro, garlic, nuts, saffron, cayenne pepper, vinegar, stir and boil for 1-2 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, it can be diluted with a little boiling water.
- Place the cooked chicken in the sauce, reduce heat, cover and stew about 8-10 minutes occasionally turning the chicken. Put the chicken on a plate, pour plenty of sauce and sprinkle with cilantro.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: Autumn Food, dinner, fried, herbs, nuts, party, roast, sauce, simple recipe, stewed, Winter Food