I never cooked rhubarb until lately when I started growing some in my garden and since then I tried a couple of delicious recipes, like Strawberry Rhubarb summer drink. This time I made a delicious rhubarb pie made with a crumbly shortcrust pastry and filled with sweet and tangy rhubarb-strawberry filling and crispy golden almonds, so tasty!
More photos: here
Rhubarb Pie with Strawberries and Almonds Recipe
By June 25, 2014Published:
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 10 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 35 mins
I never cooked rhubarb until lately when I started growing some in my garden and since then I tried a couple of delicious recipes, …
- 4 eggs
- 400 g flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300 g sugar
- 250 g butter
- pinch salt
- 600 g rhubarb stems
- 400 g strawberries
- 60 g corn starch
- 50 g almonds raw sliced
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Put the whites back in the fridge and whisk the yolks with the flour, baking powder, 150g sugar, butter and salt. Next knead the dough by hand until smooth. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for an hour.
- Cut the strawberries into 2-4 pieces. Clean the rhubarb stalks and cut into small pieces and combine with strawberries and starch. Mix well
- Grease a baking pan with butter and slightly sprinkle with flour.
- Roll out the dough and put in a baking pan. Spread with your fingers over the entire surface. Poke the dough with a fork.
- Beat the whites and add the remaining 150g sugar. Whip until firm peaks form. Add the beaten whites to the strawberries and rhubarb and mix gently, then add this to the baking pan with the dough, sprinkle almonds on top and place in a preheated 180'C oven for 70min. The last 20 minutes cover with foil and continue baking.
- Serve after the pie has slightly cooled.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: baking, berries, breakfast, dinner, dough, Fourth of July, Kids' Parties, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, nuts, party, pie, Spring Food, Summer Food, Thanksgiving, vegetarian