Qutab is an Azerbaijani dish made with a thin, crescent-shaped cake of unleavened dough and stuffed. Its very tasty, simple and healthy. For filling you can use meat, usually lamb with onion, or nearly anything else (pumpkin, nuts, pomegranate seeds, onion, sorrel, herbs). For the cheese filling it’s best to use goat cheese, or something salty like feta. If you cook qutab with meat filling, first fry or boil the ground meat mixture. Qutab can be served with yogurt or sour cream.
Qutab with cheese and herbs Recipe
By January 9, 2013Published:
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Qutab is an Azerbaijani dish made with a thin, crescent-shaped cake of unleavened dough and stuffed. Its very tasty, simple and …
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 0.5 cup of boiled water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 100 g of different herbs
- 100 g cheese
- 50 g butter
- Sift the flour in a deep bowl and add the butter and salt. Next pour in boiling water, stir, and allow to cool slightly, then knead the dough. Cover the bowl with a towel and leave for 20-30 minutes.
- Combine the cheese with the herbs. If you want, you can do this in a blender or food processor.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each piece into a thin pancake on a board sprinkled with flour. On half of each piece place the cheese, fold with the second half, and press the edge with your fingers or a fork.
- Fry the qutab on a cast iron or regular pan without oil on both sides until brown spots form, 2-3 minutes on each side. If you used meat stuffing, cover the qutab with a cover or lid so that the steam will help cook the meat filling.
- Finish by plating and adding butter on top.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Tags: appetizer, baking, cheese, dough, roast, vegetarian